What I am reading now

Thursday, June 17, 2004

wedding?

Last Saturday I went to a friend's wedding (not mine!).
At the restaurant, during the lunch, I had a great idea.
I thought I have to build an optimization model in Excel (technically a MILP) in order to identify the optimal layout among tables.

Think about it: John hates Peter, Peter likes Stephanie, Marc(o) does not speak English, Stephen enjoys politics, Carl detests it, friends do not want to be too far from the newlyweds, Anya is vegetarian, Anna wants to talk with the lowest number of persons, grandmother Maria cannot walk too much, etc.

I suddenly realized that it is pretty impossible to introduce many constraints by hand, if you have more than 100 persons. Would it be nice to find an automatic way to do so.

If you have any ideas, I would really appreciate your help: which criteria should I use for finding the optimal layout

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails